How do I name Guardian for my child?

In honor of my newborn son's first day home out of the hospital, today's post is on guardianship in Connecticut. Many parents want to make sure that the right person is taking care of their child in the event that something happens to them. So, the question is how does one go about doing that?

In the State of Connecticut, you can name a testamentary guardian. This is a fancy way of saying that you can name a person in your Will who can take care of your child as guardian of them if you pass away while your children are still minors. This means that they can take care of your child and the inheritance you leave for them (although you may decide to have a trust for your child, and the assets in the trust would be administered by the Trustee, not the guardian, however, they may be the same person)

One common reason for naming a guardian in your Will is so you can help avoid your child going to the wrong people and being raised with values that aren't what you want for him or her. We all want the best for our children, and it is important to make sure they are taken care of appropriately if we aren't there to do the job.

If you have any specific questions about guardianship in Connecticut, or if you would like to discuss the benefits and costs of a Will with guardianship provisions, feel free to contact a Connecticut Wills attorney at (203) 651-5521. We are here to help in any way we can.

Categories: Estate Planning, Wills