How Do I Leave an Inheritance to My Child with Special Needs?

Special needs trusts in Connecticut are an invaluable tool for protecting children with special needs. The most common type of trust that we see used for this purpose is what is referred to as a "3rd party" supplemental needs trust. This kinds of trust is often created by parents who want to make sure that if something happens to them, their child will not lose access to valuable government benefits.

In case you are wondering, the reason for this concern is that an inheritance left outright to a child (adult or minor) is considered a resource to the child which may put them over the asset limit for needs-based govenment benefits such as Medicaid (Title 19) and SSI.

A properly drafted Supplemental needs trust avoids this by allowing for availability of assets for needs that are supplemental to needs-based government benefits.

It is important to note however that these kinds of trusts must be drafted very carefully by a qualified attorney, and different States have different rules as to what will be acceptable in order to achieve the trust-maker's goals.

If you would like to set up a consultation to discuss this kind of planning for your children, grandchildren or another loved one, please feel free to contact us at (203) 651-5521. If you would like more general information on estate planning in connecticut, or special needs planning, check out the rest of our website.

Categories: Special Needs Trusts