Fairfield County Special Needs Trust Attorney

Special Needs Trust Lawyer for Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, Westport, Fairfield, Trumbull, New Haven and Milford

A special needs trust, also known as a supplemental needs trust, is set up for the benefit of mentally ill or disabled persons. It is often established with funds from a parent or the proceeds of an insurance settlement. To discuss the benefits of a special needs trust, contact a Fairfield County estate planning lawyer experienced in special needs trusts.

Benefits of Special Needs Trusts

It is better to have the fund in a trust than in the hands of a family member. The reasons for this are:

  • There is no good way to force the family member to use the money for the disabled person.
  • The family member may get sued and lose the money.
  • The family member may die with the fund passing to his heirs.

A trust can also protect the disabled person's eligibility for Medicaid or Supplemental Security Income. For instance, a disabled person may have no more than $2000 to qualify for SSI. It is usually better to have the fund in a trust. SSI can then pay for the disabled person's living expenses and medical care while the fund is preserved to pay for other costs for the beneficiary. Note: To help ensure protection, provisions in the trust regarding this issue must be drafted very carefully. Contact a knowledgeable special needs attorney to make sure this is done properly.

Special Needs Trust Lawyer in Fairfield County

At Massih Law, I prepare special needs trusts for clients desiring to provide for a loved one who is disabled or mentally ill. I, John N. Massih serve clients throughout Fairfield County and New Haven County including, but not limited to, Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, Westport, Fairfield, Trumbull, New Haven and Milford. I can help you set up these trusts to secure the assets for your loved ones while preserving his/her eligibility for SSI and Medicaid benefits. I invite you to contact me when you need assistance in this area.

Contact a special needs trust attorney at the firm to discuss Special Needs Trusts.