Fairfield County Living Trust Lawyer

Living Trusts Attorney in New Haven, Fairfield, Stamford, Westport, Greenwich, Darien, Trumbull & Milford

A living trust is also known as a revocable trust. It can be used to provide for your incapacity, and to take care of your loved ones the way YOU want them to be taken care of both during incapacity and when you pass away. It can also be used to provide for adult children who you wish to have payments instead of receiving the whole payment at once. Of course avoidance of probate is another reason for utilizing a living trust. By avoiding probate, you get to keep your business private, and bypass delays associated with the probate court process. You are urged to contact a Fairfield County estate planning attorney to assist in preparing a living trust.

Setting up a Living Trust in Fairfield or New Haven County

The first step is to set up a revocable trust with yourself as the trustee and trusted person(s) as secondary and/or distribution trustee(s) (the latter can be named later in the process). While you are still living and doing well, you can spend the money freely. If you become incapacitated, however, your secondary trustee can take over and start paying your bills, taking care of your dependents and doing your business in the manner you directed in your trust document.

Should you die, your secondary trustee continues with their duties as instructed. The money does not go through probate, which saves considerable probate costs. Your business is also kept private as there is no public record of the trust.

The trust instructions can provide for minor children or adult children for as long as you direct. This is of particular benefit when you have an adult child who you are concerned about, whether in spending habits or other situation. A distribution trustee can be appointed for the sole purpose of making distributions of property, which if accompanied by proper planning ahead of time can be very beneficial when it comes to protecting your assets and loved ones from creditors. Your trustee can also be instructed to provide the adult child payments (instead of a lump-sum) to allow the money to provide for them over a longer period of time.

Living Trust Lawyer in Fairfield, New Haven, Stamford & Westport

At Massih Law, LLC, I prepare living trusts for clients throughout Fairfield County and New Haven County including, but not limited to, Greenwich, Stamford, Darien, Westport, Fairfield, Trumbull, New Haven and Milford. When a client meets with me, I am very interested in their wishes, and what their intentions are, and how to create an estate plan that fulfills these wishes.

I prepare living trusts to help clients provide for their incapacity, and to take care of and protect the needs and interests of their loved ones while avoiding probate costs to the greatest extent possible. I would be pleased to meet with you to discuss your situation and help you determine the best course of action.

Contact a living trust lawyer at the firm for a consultation about living trusts.